Aalu and Tama can be cooked in various ways; this is one of the methods I am writing.
3 Medium sized Potatoes, skinned and sliced round
100 gm Tama ( fresh or fermented Bamboo shoots)
50 gm Mustard seeds, blended to a paste
½ Tsp Cumin seeds
2 Dried red Chillies broken into half
½ Tsp Turmeric powder
½ Tsp red Chilli powder
Salt to taste
6 Tbsp Refined oil
1 Small Onion minced
1 Small Tomato minced
1½ cups water
1) Heat the wok, add half of the oil, add Tama and fry for 5 minutes and keep a side.
2 )Add remaining oil, add cumin seeds and red chillies, and let it crackle for ½ a minute.
3) Add minced onions fry for about 3-to 5 minutes.
4) Add blended Mustard fry for 7 minutes.
5) Add Potatoes; salt, turmeric powder, and red chilli powder, fry for 3 minutes.
6) Add Tama and tomatoes, fry for about 2 minutes.
7) Add water, close the lid and let it cook till the potatoes are tender and the gravy turns slightly thicker.
8) Serve hot with Rice or Chiura (beaten rice).